hbase-user mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Lucene for realtime search
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:25:49 GMT
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That's some old email.... :)

Sorry I'm catching up just now :D

> I think what Jason is doing is not so much about trying to get (N)RT search
> (which already exists in raw Lucene, in ES, in Zoie, Sensei, and eventually will
> be in Solr), but trying to get full-text search via Lucene tightly integrated
> with data storage via HBase.  When data is added to HBase it should be *indexed*
> immediately, in RT, at the level of this code Jason wrote instead of at the
> application level ("add to HBase, then index to ES"), or by periodically polling
> the DB for changes and updating the index.

Ah, OK.  So I see someone already recommended the Coprocessor approach
to send updates as things are written to HBase.  When I talked with
Shay (the author of ElasticSearch) he was interested in something like
this to build a "river" to stream updates from HBase to ES.  An
another alternative would be to have a sink that uses HBase
replication to replicate edits to ES.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com