hbase-user mailing list archives

From Robert Mahfoud <robert.mahf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LocalJobRunner and HBASE-2669 woes
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2011 02:20:38 GMT
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Robert Mahfoud
> <rmahfoud@mediosystems.com> wrote:
> > I'm upgrading our code base now to HBase 0.90.1 (CDH3-U0) from
> 0.89.something.
> > I'm facing a very hard time tracking failures in our unit tests and
> working around them. Here's the situation:
> >
> > 1- Many of our unit tests run in-process M/R jobs using the
> LocalJobRunner.
> > 2- We often do things before the M/R jobs and things afte the M/R to
> validate the outcome.
> > 3- With HBASE-2669 adding the HCM.deleteAllConnections(true) to the
> TableOutputFormat.close() method, any connections that were open before the
> M/R job will be closed.
>

> This came up last week.  There the user made a copy of TOF because
> this.table is private preventing changing how TOF#close works.  If we
> added an accessor for the table to TOF so you could override its close
> behavior, would that work for you?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try to do that and add a
configuration flag to the copied class. I will look for the update that
makes this.table protected.
I think that this wasn't a wise design choice since one wouldn't expect
using an "incidental" class (TOF) to have such a pervasive side effect.

Adding a configuration flag could also be a quick and easy fix until a
global solution emerges (maybe as part of HBASE-3766 or HBASE-37777).

--
Robert Mahfoud
http://www.1apple1day.com/