hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HTable.put hangs on bulk loading
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:41:57 GMT
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Jeff Whiting <jeffw@qualtrics.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense to do some kind of sanity check on these various
> configuration parameters when a region or master server starts?  It seems
> like there is a lot of them and when they aren't right, it can cause big
> problems.  Just have it check the configuration parameters and output a
> warning in the log.  E.g. log.warn("Warning, OS setting may be too low:
> ulimit should be at least X.  Considering changing it.");
>
> Also if that were to show up in the Master.jsp it would be even better.

We output ulimit seen by HBase as first thing in the log (We recently
changed it so it lists all ulimits so we now show nprocs).  But
obviously, this is not enough given the frequency with which these
configs are missed though they are first thing in our requirements
list.  Lets add a warning to the UI as you suggest Jeff (We have ones
already for when you are running on jdk 1.6.0 u18 -- we can extend
this code).  Mind filing an issue Jeff?  Mark it against 0.92.0 though
no reason it shouldn't be added to 0.90.3.

Thanks,
St.Ack