hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Region Splitting for moderate amount of daily data - Improve MapReduce Performance
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:22:22 GMT
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Joe Pallas <pallas@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> It seems that, until you have enough data relative to your cluster size, you must choose
between locality and distribution.  (When you have enough data, you get a better balance
between the two.)

Yes.

> The HBase rebalancer, as I understand it, adjusts region assignments, but doesn't adjust
split points (hence, the number of regions).  Maybe that would be a useful feature for some
cases.

What would you suggest Joe?  It currently splits regions down the
middle.  You'd instead have a split point that split the requests
happening on a region over say, the last five or ten minutes?

St.Ack