hbase-user mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:48:04 GMT
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> Want to make an issue to change it Joe?  (As Ryan says, no
> justification that I remember other than that is how its always been).

Personally I think that 3 is a good reasonable default.  Maybe most
people don't really need 3 versions, but most of the time I'm sure
they can pay for it, they won't even notice.  It can be a life-saver
after you screw up to be able to get back to older versions...  If you
truly have a "big data" problem (few people really do), then you
probably will know what you're doing, and you'll tune the number of
versions appropriately for your needs.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com