hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: TableInputFormat and number of mappers == number of regions
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:48:15 GMT
Yes, you could make a different Splitter.  Would be nice in the
splitter if you could keep the locality where we have the Map task
running on the TaskTracker that is adjacent to the hosting
RegionServer.  That shouldn't be hard.  Study the current splitter and
see how it juggles locations.

Can you put us in contact w/ the person running the cluster (offline
if you prefer)?  150k sounds like regions need to be bigger.

Thanks,
St.Ack

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Avery Ching <aching@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> The number of regions is pretty insane, but not under my control unfortunately.  The
workaround I suggested is to write another InputFormat and InputSplit such that each InputSplit
is responsible for a configurable number of regions.  For example, if i have 100k regions
and I configure each InputSplit to handle 1k regions, then I'll only have 100 map tasks.  Just
was wondering if anyone else faced these issues.

> Thanks for your quick response on a Saturday morning =),
>
> Avery
>
> On Apr 9, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
>
>> You cannot have more mappers than you have regions, but you can have
>> less. Try going that way.
>>
>> Also 149,624 regions is insane, is that really the case? I don't think
>> i've ever seen such a large deploy and it's probably bound to hit some
>> issues...
>>
>> J-D
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Avery Ching <aching@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> First off, I'd like to say thanks to the developers for HBase, it's been fun
to work with.

>>> I've been using TableInputFormat to run a Map-Reduce job and ran into an issue.
>>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException:
java.io.IOException: The number of tasks for this job 149624 exceeds the configured limit
100000

>>> The table i'm accessing has 149624 regions, however my Hadoop instance won't
allow me to start a job with that many map tasks.  After briefly looking at the TableInputFormatBase
code, it appears that since TableSplit only knows about a single region, my job will be forced
into having mappers == # of regions.  Since the Hadoop instance I'm using is shared, I'm
concerned that even if configured limit was raised, having Jobs with so many mappers would
eventually cause havoc to the job tracker.

>>> Given that I have no control over the number of regions in the table (maintained
by someone else), is the only solution to implement another input format (i.e. MultiRegionTableFormat)
that allows InputSplits to have more than one region?  I don't mind doing it, but didn't
want to write it if another solution already exists.