hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbase test library
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:51:11 GMT
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Joe Pallas <joseph.pallas@oracle.com> wrote:
> I will say that startup time for the minicluster is pretty bad for unit testing.  Maybe
what the original request was really asking for is what Fowler calls "fakes" <http://martinfowler.com/articles/mocksArentStubs.html>.
 A fake HBase would probably be in-process and have only in-memory tables.  But it might
be a fair amount of effort to get all the semantics right.

ZK comes up fast.

Then its hbase and hdfs coming up.  We're probably equally slow coming
up (I haven't looked at this in a while).

I'm all ear regards any suggestions for making our test suite run
faster or breaking up our balls of code so testing is made easier.

Regards hbase, its not my idea (it was the gumgum fellows IIRC) but I
like the idea of grafting HTableInterface on to the front of an
HRegion instance or some such.  Currently it requires too much
shimming.  If I was staring over, the StoreFile, MemStore, HRegion,
HRegionServer APIs would be HTable APIs; they'd all implement the same
interface (In the old days we had an Incommon interface which was the
intersection of HTable and HRegion interfaces so you could run same
test code directly against an HRegion instance and then run it
remotely).

St.Ack