hbase-user mailing list archives

From Joe Pallas <pal...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:31:50 GMT

On Apr 3, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Ryan Rawson wrote:

> because it always has been?  I think the original BT paper probably
> had the number '3' in there somewhere...
>
> But yes, not too big, not too small.  There probably isnt a reasonable
> setting here, I'm guessing 1 isnt quite right either.

Why?  Why shouldn't 1 be the default?  If you don't have an explicit use case for more than
one version, which I would wager many people don't, what is the point of it?

joe

PS Yes, the Google paper has the number 3 in it somewhere: in the web-crawling example.  Since
it was just one example, it doesn't make a very good basis for a system-wide default.