hbase-user mailing list archives

From Avery Ching <ach...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: TableInputFormat and number of mappers == number of regions
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:26:40 GMT
I found the code still exists in this code base for the old mapred interfaces

src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapred/TableInputFormatBase.java

I'll adapt it for my needs.  Thanks!

Avery

On Apr 9, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:

> It's weird, I thought we already did something like that and it seems
> that the old TableInputFormatBase does it but not the new one. From
> it's javadoc:
>
>   * Splits are created in number equal to the smallest between numSplits and
>   * the number of {@link HRegion}s in the table. If the number of splits is
>   * smaller than the number of {@link HRegion}s then splits are spanned across
>   * multiple {@link HRegion}s and are grouped the most evenly possible. In the
>   * case splits are uneven the bigger splits are placed first in the
>   * {@link InputSplit} array.
>
> J-D
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>> Yes, you could make a different Splitter.  Would be nice in the
>> splitter if you could keep the locality where we have the Map task
>> running on the TaskTracker that is adjacent to the hosting
>> RegionServer.  That shouldn't be hard.  Study the current splitter and
>> see how it juggles locations.
>>
>> Can you put us in contact w/ the person running the cluster (offline
>> if you prefer)?  150k sounds like regions need to be bigger.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> St.Ack
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Avery Ching <aching@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>> The number of regions is pretty insane, but not under my control unfortunately.
 The workaround I suggested is to write another InputFormat and InputSplit such that each
InputSplit is responsible for a configurable number of regions.  For example, if i have 100k
regions and I configure each InputSplit to handle 1k regions, then I'll only have 100 map
tasks.  Just was wondering if anyone else faced these issues.

>>> Thanks for your quick response on a Saturday morning =),
>>>
>>> Avery

java.io.IOException: The number of tasks for this job 149624 exceeds the configured limit
100000

won't allow me to start a job with that many map tasks.  After briefly looking at the TableInputFormatBase
code, it appears that since TableSplit only knows about a single region, my job will be forced
into having mappers == # of regions.  Since the Hadoop instance I'm using is shared, I'm concerned
that even if configured limit was raised, having Jobs with so many mappers would eventually
cause havoc to the job tracker.

(maintained by someone else), is the only solution to implement another input format (i.e.
MultiRegionTableFormat) that allows InputSplits to have more than one region?  I don't mind
doing it, but didn't want to write it if another solution already exists.