hbase-user mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject RE: HBase is not ready for Primetime
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:26:50 GMT

Hi there-

For what it's worth, although we haven't had this particular issue we've certainly had other
bumps and bruises (GC of death, and other metadata issues caused when a split dies during
a GC of death, etc.).  But there are few general items that helped in stability and performance
I thought I'd mention...

1) cluster size

I haven't seen any indication of cluster size in this email chain (or a few others that had
performance issues), but while 5 is probably the absolute minimum for a cluster (in large
part due to HDFS block replication of 3), at larger data volumes things HBase really starts
humming at 10 nodes and beyond.  Just thought I'd mention it.

2) memory

I'm lumping several other threads together but the performance wiki states "don't start HBase
for memory".  At significant volume this can become an issue (especially if you're still on
.89)

3) Cluster restart

We schedule a full shutdown and restart of our cluster each week.  It's pretty quick, and
HBase just seems happier when we do this.