hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Region Splitting for moderate amount of daily data - Improve MapReduce Performance
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:10:06 GMT
> From: Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherglen@gmail.com>
> > With the new replication feature
> > of 0.92 edits are streamed from one cluster
> > to another
>
> Interesting, what does 'cluster' mean in this context?

Cluster in this context is a typical data center deployment: HDFS + ZK + HBase master(s) +
HBase regionservers.

> Typically with MySQL one would have 1 master (for writes)
> and N slave servers (for reads).  Is this a similar use case for
> HBase replication?

I think you are thinking more along the lines of HBASE-2357: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-2357
(Hmm... I forgot I took on this issue...)

What I'm talking about is HBASE-1295, or http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html .

What I personally would use 0.92 replication for is:
  - To deploy a service in multiple geographies and sync global state (eventually); but within
the geography take advantage of HBase's consistency properties
  - To stream a subset of important data to a small reserve cluster for disaster recovery

   - Andy