hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Stuart Scott" <Stuart.Sc...@e-mis.com>
Subject RE: HBase Stability
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:17:22 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks for your email. We have tried this fix from MSLAB's. It didn't
make any difference. I think it is probably down to our lack of
knowledge and our configuration. We did try some of the CDH builds from
Cloudera and had varying results.

What other information could I provide? The servers are 4-5 years old,
just running on IDE 750gb drives (for testing) with 2-4 gb of RAM in
each of the 16 servers.
We only have a 100MB network at present.

Should Hbase work on this level of hardware? Up to 100 million rows. We
are obviously happy for it to take a while but it shouldn't collapse?

Regards

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: Buttler, David [mailto:buttler1@llnl.gov]
Sent: 21 March 2011 20:46
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: RE: HBase Stability

Have you seen Todd Lipcon's post on MSLAB's?
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2011/02/avoiding-full-gcs-in-hbase-with-mem
store-local-allocation-buffers-part-1/

This is a new feature in 0.90.1 that prevents memory fragmentation
during write loads.  You do have to explicitly enable this, but it seems
a likely culprit for unstable writes

But, of course, this is just a shot in the dark given the limited
information you have provided.

Dave