hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject stop-hbase.sh bug or feature?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 01:23:00 GMT
Hi,

We had a troubling experience today that I wanted to share. Our dev
cluster got completely shut down by a developer by mistake, without
said developer even realizing it. Here's how...

We have multiple sets of HBase configs checked into SVN that
developers can checkout and point their HBASE_CONF_DIR to to easily
change from developing in local mode or testing against our
distributed dev cluster.

In local mode someone might do something like this:

bin/start-hbase.sh
bin/hbase shell

... do some work ...

bin/stop-hbase.sh

The problem arose when a developer accidentally tried to do this with
their HBASE_CONF_DIR pointing to our dev cluster configs. When this
happens, the first command will add another master to the cluster and
the last command will shut down the entire cluster. I assume this
happens via Zookeeper somehow, since we don't have ssh keys to
remotely start/stop as the user running the processes.

So the question is, is this a bug or a feature? If it's a feature it
seems like an incredibly dangerous one. Once our live cluster is
running, those configs will also be needed on the client so really bad
things could happen by mistake.

thanks,
Bill