hbase-user mailing list archives

From Cameron Leach <cameron.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Modeling Multi-Valued Fields
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:46:13 GMT
~resending to hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org~

Is there a best-practice for modeling multi-valued fields (fields that are
repeated or collections of fields)? Our current data model allows for a User
to store multiple email addresses:

User {
  Integer id; //row key
  List<Email> emails;

  Email {
    String type; //home, work, gmail, hotmail, etc...
    String address;
  }
}

So if I setup a 'User' table with an 'Email' column family, how would one
support multiple email addresses, storing values for the 'type' and
'address' columns? I've seen it suggested to have dynamic column names, but
this doesn't seem practical, unless someone can make it more clear how that
strategy would work.

Thanks!