hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: OT - Hash Code Creation
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:32:21 GMT
Just that base-64 is not uniformly distributed relative to a binary
representation.  This is simply  because it is all printable characters.  If
you do a 256 way pre-split based on a binary interpretation of the key, 64
regions will get traffic and 192 will get none.  Among other things, this
can seriously mess up benchmarking.  The situation is even worse with
decimal integer representations.