hbase-user mailing list archives

From Venkatesh <vramanatha...@aol.com>
Subject Re: Export/Import and # of regions
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:21:30 GMT

 Thanks J-D..Using 0.20.6..I don't see that method with pre-split in 0.20.6 API spec

1) Will the data still be accessible if I Import the data to a new table? (purely for backup
reasons)
I tried on small data set..I could..
Before I do export/Import on large table, want to make sure..

2) Data exported using 0.20.6, can it be imported using 0.90.1? (i could use pre-split in
this case)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Tue, Mar 29, 2011 5:38 pm
Subject: Re: Export/Import and # of regions

Pre-splitting was discussed a few times on the mailing list today, and

a few times in the past weeks, for example:

http://search-hadoop.com/m/XB9Vr1gQc66

Import works on a pre-existing table so it won't recreate it. Also it

doesn't know how your key space is constructed, so it cannot guess the

start/stop row keys for you.

J-D

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Venkatesh <vramanathan00@aol.com> wrote:

> Thanks J-D

> We have way too much data  & it won't fit in 1 region.Is Import smart enough

create

> reqd # of regions?

> Cld u pl. elaborate on pre-split table creation? steps?

> Reason I'm doing this exercise is reduce # of regions in our cluster (in the

absence of additional hardware