hbase-user mailing list archives

From Niels Nuyttens <niels.nuytt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hash function per table
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:16:27 GMT
Hi guys,

this is an interesting discussion, please excuse me for hijacking it and
posing an examplatory problem:

suppose one is getting data from monitoring devices. A composite key
could be made using <date>_<monitoring_type>. Would this lead to
hotspots? Could hashing then solve this problem, and won't I lose the
advantage of being able to list my monitoring data chronologically?

Thanks in advance,

Niels

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 11:57 -0700, Chris Tarnas wrote:
> There is none - HBase uses a total order partitioner. The straight key value itself determines
which region a row is put into. This allows for very rapid scans of sequential data, among
other things but does mean it is easier to hotspot regions. Key design is very important.