hbase-user mailing list archives

From Niels Nuyttens <niels.nuytt...@gmail.com>
Subject Newbie question concerning schema design
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:53:51 GMT
Hi all,

I'm need a database scaled for large datasets and high throughput. HBase
seemed like the way to go. However, while designing my database schema I
started to doubt my choice, due to the conversion of the current
relational schema to a NoSQL variant. I can't get my head around the
efficient implementation of many-to-many relations.

For example: Users and Roles. How would you model that for HBase. I was
thinking about storing associated roles in a column of a user row, and
vice versa.

Furthermore there are lots of one-to-many relations that also need
converting.

So, in conclusion, my question is: is it possible to convert a
relation-oriented schema to a nosql one? If so, how can this modeling be
done efficiently?

Lots of thanks,

Niels