hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mike Spreitzer <mspre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Using the Hadoop bundled in the lib directory of HBase
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 05:12:18 GMT
OK, I am building the 0.20-append branch of hadoop-common.  Do I then have
to build hadoop-hdfs or can I use a pre-built release of hadoop-hdfs?  If
the latter, where would I find such a thing?  When I try following the
links (http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/ ->
http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/releases.html ->
http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/releases.html#Download ->
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/hadoop/core/ ) I get to releases of
hadoop/core --- what is that?

Thanks,
Mike Spreitzer
SMTP: mspreitz@us.ibm.com, Lotus Notes: Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM
Office phone: +1-914-784-6424 (IBM T/L 863-)
AOL Instant Messaging: M1k3Sprtzr

From:   Norbert Burger <norbert.burger@gmail.com>
To:     user@hbase.apache.org
Date:   02/05/2011 09:51 AM
Subject:        Re: Using the Hadoop bundled in the lib directory of HBase

Mike, you'll also need also access to an installation of Hadoop, whether
this on the same machines as your HBase install (common), or somewhere
else.  Often, people install Hadoop first and then layer HBase over it.

HBase depends on core Hadoop functionality like HDFS, and uses the Hadoop
JAR in lib/ to support this.  But this is library code only; what you're
missing is the rest of Hadoop ecosystem (config files, directory
structure,
command-line tools, etc.)

Norbert