hbase-user mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon EC2
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:58:19 GMT
I think Jon and Ryan have covered the key points here.

I just want to reiterate that they really valuable aspect of EC2 is the
"elastic" part of the name.  It's great for spinning up a cluster for
testing or batch data processing, without dedicated hardware.  Having the
ability to launch 100 servers on demand is very powerful!  And in these
cases, the economics of EC2 pricing work greatly in your favor.

Where EC2 makes less sense, though, is when you're running an always-on,
24x7, cluster (probably the most frequent scenario for HBase deployments).
 You still avoid the up-front capital expenditure for hardware, but the
monthly cost (especially for HBase where you need to use the larger and more
costly instance types) will quickly overtake the cost of the hardware.  And
at the same time you'll be incurring a performance penalty due to the
virtualized IO and contention for resources with other subscribers.

So do some up-front cost calculations based on your expected usage and
service lifetime.  And be aware of the performance penalty and additional
operational complications.

--gh