hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Hbase 0.90.1 install OS X 10.6.6
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:30:05 GMT
Can you check the logs under the $HBASE_HOME/logs directory?  Any clue
therein?  (Your reasoning below looks right -- zk ensemble is not
starting for some reason though its likely managed by hbase)
St.Ack

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Mark Jarecki <mjarecki@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to install Hbase 0.90.1 on OS X 10.6.6 in psuedo-distributed mode for use
on a laptop, as instructed on:

> http://blog.ibd.com/howto/hbase-hadoop-on-mac-ox-x/
> AND
> http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html
> (Especially section 1.3.2.2.1 Psuedo-distributed followed by 1.3.2.3)
>
> After completing most of what I think follows the installation process, I call:
> bin/start-hbase.sh
>
> When I log into the hbase shell to create some test data, I get :
> ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException:
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException: KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss
for /hbase

> The logs reads:
> 11/02/27 12:10:47 WARN zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session 0x0 for server null, unexpected
error, closing socket connection and attempting reconnect
>        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
>        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:574)
>        at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1119)
> 11/02/27 12:10:47 ERROR master.HMasterCommandLine: ZooKeeper not available
>
> Obviously, Zookeeper is not installed, unavailable or something else. I'm not sure which,
as all the installation instructions aren't clear on the matter. Section 1.3.2.3 of the docs
says:

> "If you are managing your own ZooKeeper, start it and confirm its running else, HBase
will start up ZooKeeper for you as part of its start process."

> But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to manage my own Zookeeper, especially since I didn't
actually install it. I did try setting export HBASE_MANAGES_ZK=true in hbase-env.sh, but it
made no difference.