hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Queries regarding REST API
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:20:31 GMT
> The problem is how do you represent what could be binary
> data [...]

Exactly. Base64 it required if you are using XML representation (text/xml) because the basic
data type in HBase is byte[].

You also have the option of binary representations, either protobuf (application/x-protobuf)
or raw value (application/octet-stream). In those cases the data is sent in binary form.

Using protobufs requires your client do the necessary unmarshalling of course.

Using raw (application/octet-stream) currently has limitations. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1788.
It's not possible to query more than one version of a value at a time or return more than
one value out of a scanner at a time or insert more than one value at a time. Adding multipart
support would solve that problem.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
  - Piet Hein (via Tom White)