hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>
Subject RE: Amazon EC2
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:35:50 GMT
There are others who have had far more experience than I have with HBase + EC2, so will let
them chime in.  But I personally recommend against this direction if you expect to have a
consistent cluster size and/or a significant amount of load.

EC2 is great at quickly scaling up/down, but is usually not cost effective if you're running
a cluster of a fixed set of nodes 24/7.

EC2 also generally experiences far worse IO performance than dedicated hardware, so with any
significant load, performance suffers on EC2.

In addition, EC2 presents its own operational pains and availability issues.  Users on EC2
generally have more problems than those with their own setups.

JG