hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: Hadoop setup question.
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:47:38 GMT
In addition to what the others have said, I will repeat my standard advice (gleaned from listening
to this list for the last year):
If you have 10 nodes or fewer, then you want
1 Master node (namenode, jobtracker, hbase master, zookeeper node)
9 slave nodes(datanode, tasktracker, hbase region server)

If you have more than 10 nodes, then you want 3 or 5 zookeeper nodes. Zookeeper nodes can
share hardware with other services as long as they have a dedicated disk (dedicated bandwidth
wouldn't hurt, but is probably not necessary). And if you have a lot of nodes, then you want
an odd number of zookeeper nodes with one node per rack at minimum.

I don't believe that hbase master takes much resources, so having it share the master node
is not a problem.

I have a 6 node cluster that I share with Solr, and this setup works well. So well that I
am having a hard time convincing anyone to get me more hardware.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Coleman [mailto:joe.coleman@infinitecampus.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:51 AM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop setup question.

Hi all not sure where to ask this question but here it goes. I have been playing with Hadoop
for a while now in a test environment before we setup and deploy a productions environment.
I am using Hadoop 0.20.0  on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS install on Dell 1950's currently.

My question is what raid should I be using for my data nodes? I haven't come across anything
that clearly spells it out I have used raid1 and then EXT4 filesystem but I know this isn't
right after further research but not sure what do do. I will be setting up 3 masters in a
cluster which I will raid out. And roughly 10 datanodes running hdfs and hbase and a separate
zookeeper cluster. Any thoughts or recommendations on the clustering would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe