hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Bulk load using HFileOutputFormat.RecordWriter
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 22:42:18 GMT
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Nanheng Wu <nanhengwu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer Todd. I realized that I was making my life
> harder by using the low level record writer directly. Instead I just
> made the mapper output a <ImmutableBytesWriteable, KeyValue> pair and
> set the output format to HFileOutputFormat. It works really great! I
> have a follow up question, after I run the loadtable.rb script it
> looks a little while before the table is actually ready to be queried.
> Is there a way to programmatically test if the table is "ready"? I am
> using hbase-0.20.6. Thanks!

What is taking the time?  Is it that there are a bunch of a regions
and they don't come on atomically but rather one at a time.  When you
say 'while' in the above, you are talking about seconds, right?
(IIRC, all loadtable is doing is adding entries to .META. -- though it
may also be moving files into place).

St.Ack