hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Unresponsive master in Hbase 0.90.0
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:06:21 GMT
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Vidhyashankar Venkataraman
<vidhyash@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> The Hbase cluster doesn't have the master problems with hadoop-append turned on: we will
try finding out why it wasn't working with a non-append version of hadoop (with a previous
version of hadoop, it was getting stuck while splitting logs).

I'd say don't bother Vidhya.  You should run w/ append anyways.
Meantime file an issue if you don't mind and dump in there your data.
We need to take care of this so others don't trip over what you saw.
I'm sure that plenty of users will innocently try to bring up 0.90.0
on an Hadoop w/o append.

> But there are other issues now (with append turned on) which we are trying to resolve.
The region server that's hosting the META region is getting choked after a table was loaded
with around 100 regions per server (this is likely the target load that we wanted to have
and this worked in 0.89 with the same number of nodes and Hbase 0.90 worked fine with 40 nodes
and that's why I started straight with this number). The node can be pinged, but not accessible
through ssh and I am unable to perform most hbase operations on the cluster as a result.

>   Can the RS hosting META be a potential bottleneck in the system at all? (I will try
shutting down that particular node and see what happens).

At 700 nodes scale, its quite possible we're doing something dumb.
Any data you can glean to help us here would be appreciated.  I'd have
thought that 0.90.0 would put less load on .META. since we've removed
some of the reasons for .META. access.

St.Ack