hbase-user mailing list archives

From Max Garfinkel <max.garfin...@talk21.com>
Subject decoding types within the hbase shell
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:39:55 GMT
Hi All,
I think this is a stupid question but I cant seem to find an answer one way or
the other anywhere else so here goes. Is it possible to decode the values stored
in columns to something other than string when performing a scan using the hbase
shell?

To be really clear I have a table containing three columns: duration, frequency
and trailstring which are storing the bytes that make an int, long and string
respectively. I am fine decoding them in my application but I would like to be
able to see them represented as there types in the shell, instead of the garbage
that is produced, presumably decoding there bytes into a string.

Is this possible? also I don't really know much about ruby.

Many thanks

max