hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mohit <mohitsi...@huawei.com>
Subject Proper Versioning of Data is not happening as configured in HColumnDescriptor object while creating table via HBase client.
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:56:14 GMT
Hello HBase Users,

I'm using HBase 0.20.6,

While using HBase client I create a table specifying a Column Descriptor
object whose maxVersions:int parameter is set to 3.But for the same,
timeToLive : int parameter is set to FOREVER.

So I assume, for a particular column at most only 3 latest updated versions
will be maintained/persisted and rest will be discarded.

So I updated the value of a column 5 times programmatically , and expected
result was if I query the value for the oldest entry i.e.  by supplying the
timestamp of the 4th or 5th entry, I should get null or some kind of
exception, but actually it is persisting oldest values thereby overshooting
the maxVersions value.

Is there some kind of caching of scanner data maintained at client side or a
MemStore at RS has any role to play?

Kindly tell me is this a default behavior or a defect.

-Mohit

but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is