hbase-user mailing list archives

From Alex Baranau <alex.barano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] HBaseHUT - HBase High Update Throughput
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 06:21:49 GMT
Hi Alvin,

There's no limitations, but in particular cases you won't want to use
HBaseHUT.

0) In general, if Get & Put operation for each write of new data is OK for
you (e.g. low write rate) then it's easier to go that way I believe.

1) In certain cases read performance can degrade noticeably when using
HBaseHUT (in the benefit of much higher write speed of course). By "certain
cases" I primarily mean the situation when both true of:
* updates affect just small amount of records (i.e. not far from
"well-spread") *and*
* updates (not "new inserts") rate is very heavy

Thus, if you have 100K of update operations (non-processed, i.e. updates
processing haven't fired for them yet) for some data item, then reading this
data item is likely to be slow (depending on your update logic, close to the
HBase scan speed on your cluster).
Note, that with "storing processed updates on client reads" feature next
time user requests for the same data item it will be returned very fast (as
single Get operation).

Thanks for the question, I'll gather them for the FAQ ;).

Alex Baranau
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch - Hadoop - HBase