hbase-user mailing list archives

From Imran M Yousuf <imyou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Deployment layout and server configurations
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:37:00 GMT
Hi,

Please see my replies inline below, thanks a lot for the feedback.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Imran M Yousuf <imyousuf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * 1 NN+MN RAID 1 with 400GB 15k SAS HDD, 12GB ECC RAM, 1 X X3440/E5560
>> (4C/8T)
>>

> I don't think that the SAS drives will help you  here.

Hmm, so will go with 7.2k RPM disks.

>>   * ZK - 500GB 7.2k RPM, 4GB ECC RAM, 1 X X3440/E5560 (4C/8T)
>>
>  * ZK + Gangrila + Nagios - 500GB 7.2k RPM, 8GB ECC RAM, 1 X X3440/E5560
>> (4C/8T)
>>

> You should have two drives on each of these machines and the might as well
> match the other drives.
>
> Why only two ZK machines?  Normally it is recommended to have 3 or 5.  The
> ZK load here should be very light so you might rather collocate ZK with
> other services a bit more.

I am tending to think to have one machince ZK+Gangrila+Nagios and
other 2 collocated with 2 of the RSs' as JG suggests.

> Is there any reason not to use 2T drives all round?

I was not sure whether 2T all around would be a good idea since I was
using only single 4C/8T processors. What do you think - single
processor for 2T would be ok?

> My own tendency would be to put 12GB all round so that all machines are
> interchangeable.

Good suggestion, never thought of it that way.

Thanks,

--
Imran M Yousuf
Twitter: @imyousuf - http://twitter.com/imyousuf