hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>
Subject RE: region, regionserver questions
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:10:09 GMT
Yeah, I'd recommend just using the normal TIF which will have a map task per region, attempts
to schedule it on that node, and each task would talk to only one (hopefully local) server.

As for assignment, the story has changed significantly between previous versions and the upcoming
0.90 release.

In 0.90, there are two modes of startup assignment.  The new default is 'retain assignment'
where the master will attempt to reuse whatever the last set of assignments were on the previous
run of the cluster.  The other option, if you turn off retain assignment, is round-robin.
 This round-robin assignment would give you what you want (an approximately equal number of
regions of each table on each server).

What I've done to get good distribution of the tables is startup with round-robin, then from
then on use retain assignment.

JG