hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: [RFC] Deployment layout and server configurations
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:14:57 GMT
For a small cluster like you have, I would be fine with putting all of the master pieces on
one node:
ZK, NN, HMaster, ganglia, nagios.

You say you are going to put solr on other nodes -- that makes sense as solr can be very memory
hungry, and you might not want to share 12 GB of RAM between solr and hbase.  On the other
hand, I have no problem with collocating solr and hbase on a large memory machine -- as long
as there is no chance of swapping.  The only problems come up when you run a heavy map/reduce
job over the nodes and kill disk and network i/o -- that can slow solr down.  But, as JD often
recommends, it is better to keep your developers off of your production system and run your
map/reduce jobs on a dedicated cluster (if you can afford the space/power/cooling/$ for multiple
clusters).

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Imran M Yousuf [mailto:imyousuf@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 4:40 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Deployment layout and server configurations

Hi JG :),

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@fb.com> wrote:
> Hey Imran,
>
> This looks reasonable but it's hard to say without knowing what the read/write workload
is like.  You say all searches are done using Solr... will that also be hosted on these servers?

No Solr will not be collocated with them :), I am glad you remember me
mentioning about it initially, I have attached the full System diagram
in this email.

> One thing.  It looks like you have two servers for ZK?  ZK should always be run in
odd numbers (1, 3, 5, or 7).  For a cluster of this size, you are already sensitive to a
failure of the NN so you could just put ZK on the master node.  It has RAID so you won't
be sensitive to a single disk failure.  Otherwise 3 nodes.

Thanks for suggestion, how about if I put Gangrila and Nagios with the
NN and MN as well?

Regards,

--
Imran M Yousuf