hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anze <anzen...@volja.net>
Subject Re: HBase stability
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:46:18 GMT

First of all, thank you all for the answers. I appreciate it!

To recap:
- 0.20.4 is known to be "fragile"
- upgrade to 0.89 (cdh3b3) would improve stability
- GC should be monitored and system tuned if necessary (not sure how to do
that - yet :)
- memory should be at least 2GB, better 4GB+ (we can't go that far)
- more nodes would help with stability issues

@Jonathan: yes, we are using 2 nodes that run both Hadoop (namenode, sec.
namenode, datanodes, jobtracker, tasktrackers) and Hbase. The reason is that
performance-wise we don't need more than that yet, but we have plans to make
operation much larger in future. So while this is in production, it is really
a test-case for much larger system.
However, Hadoop runs reliably, even under pressure (I do understand it is much
more mature project though). I would expect HBase to be written with the
mantra "any machine may fail at any time" in mind - and with error recovery in
that spirit. In out experience, with 0.20.4 this just isn't the case (data
loss of a few hours' worth of Put()-s is very common when it crashes). But I
really hope we can make it work reliably, we have put a lot of work in
building a system around it... We'll see how it goes with 0.89 (fingers
crossed :).

Again, thank you all for the answers!

Anze