hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: substantial performance degradation when using WAL
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:38:03 GMT
Hey Friso,

> The GC is G1, so it may look different from what you expect
> from a GC log. I know it is considered experimental, but I
> like the concept of it and think it's nice to gain some
> experience with it.

You are probably the first to use the G1 GC seriously with HBase. Would love to hear about
your experiences with it.

I've been looking at it from time to time but last time (with u14 I think) the JVM segfaulted
just about constantly. Recently I spun up a cluster with u23 and a write heavy test with 0.90
stayed up. I have not had time to dig in more.

P.S. You set sysctl vm.swappiness = 0 right?

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
  - Piet Hein (via Tom White)