hbase-user mailing list archives

From amit jaiswal <amit_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hbase setup on a single windows machine - running commands throws MasterNotRunningException
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:26:39 GMT
Hi,

Can you try running HBase on Linux? It is very easy to install a VM (like oracle
virtual box) and experiment with the hadoop stack there.

-regards
Amit

----- Original Message ----
From: Vijay <amirisetty.vijayaraghavan@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Thu, 2 December, 2010 7:44:55 PM
Subject: Hbase setup on a single windows machine - running commands throws
MasterNotRunningException

Hi,
    I am trying to setup HBase on a  single Windows Vista machine by
following the instructions mentioned here :
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/current/cygwin.html#Introduction

I see the HBase server jvm starting up and listening to the default port of
60000.

But when I launch a hbase shell (bin/hbase shell) and try a list command
(list), I get the following error:

*NativeException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: null *

I checked the hbase master logs, and see the following exception that I
guess could be the problem

2010-12-02 19:34:11,809 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper: *Failed to create /hbase
-- check quorum servers, currently=127.0.0.1:2181*
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase
at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:90)
at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:42)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.exists(ZooKeeper.java:780)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.exists(ZooKeeper.java:808)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper.ensureExists(ZooKeeperWrapper.java:405)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper.ensureParentExists(ZooKeeperWrapper.java:432)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper.writeMasterAddress(ZooKeeperWrapper.java:520)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.writeAddressToZooKeeper(HMaster.java:263)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.<init>(HMaster.java:245)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.LocalHBaseCluster.<init>(LocalHBaseCluster.java:94)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.LocalHBaseCluster.<init>(LocalHBaseCluster.java:78)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.doMain(HMaster.java:1229)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.main(HMaster.java:1274)

From the configuration in hbase-default.xml, I guess that the zookeeper
server must start and listen on port 2181

  <property>
    <name>hbase.zookeeper.quorum</name>
    <value>127.0.0.1</value>
    </description>
  </property>

This doesn't seem to be the case, and I see *no java process listening on
port 2181*

I also get the following message while starting hbase
*: hostname nor servname provided, or not known*

I am using HBase version 0.20.6

Any suggestions / pointers would be of great help! I am open to trying out
any suggestions.

Thanks
Vijay