hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Keller <brya...@gmail.com>
Subject Composite key, scan on partial key
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:28:39 GMT
I had a question about using a Scan on part of a composite key. Say I have order line item
rows, and the ID is order ID + line item ID. Each ID is a random string. I want to get all
line items for an order with my Scan object.

Setting the startRow on Scan is easy enough, just set it to the order ID and leave off the
line item ID. However, because endRow is exclusive, I need to come up with a key that is just
past the order ID. This would be straightforward if the keys are numeric (just add one to
the order ID), but becomes kind of a kludge when the keys are strings.

Right now I build the keys with a byte separator between the two strings and set it to 0 when
storing. Then when I want to scan, I create the startRow with the Order ID + (byte)0, and
the endRow with Order ID + (byte)1. Seems like kind of a waste to have that extra byte just
for this purpose, though. Is there a better approach, like specifying the endRow inclusively?