hbase-user mailing list archives

From Hari Sreekumar <hsreeku...@clickable.com>
Subject Data taking up too much space when put into HBase
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 05:21:31 GMT
Hi,

     Data seems to be taking up too much space when I put into HBase. e.g, I
have a 2 GB text file which seems to be taking up ~70 GB when I dump into
HBase. I have block size set to 64 MB and replication=3, which I think is
the possible reason for this expansion. But if that is the case, how can I
prevent it? Decreasing the block size will have a negative impact on
performance, so is there a way I can increase the average size on
HBase-created  files to be comparable to 64 MB. Right now they are ~5 MB on
average. Or is this an entirely different thing at work here?

thanks,
hari