hbase-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Ruchovets <oruchov...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop/HBase hardware requirement
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:53:06 GMT
Hi all,
After testing HBase for few months with very light configurations  (5
machines, 2 TB disk, 8 GB RAM), we are now planing for production.
Our Load -
1) 50GB log files to process per day by Map/Reduce jobs.
2)  Insert 4-5GB to 3 tables in hbase.
3) Run 10-20 scans per day (scanning about 20 regions in a table).
All this should run in parallel.
Our current configuration can't cope with this load and we are having many
stability issues.

This is what we have in mind :
1. Master machine - 32 GB, 4 TB, Two quad core CPUs.
2. Name node - 16 GB, 2TB, Two quad core CPUs.
we plan to have up to 20 name servers (starting with 5).

We already read
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/03/clouderas-support-team-shares-some-basic-hardware-recommendations/
.

We would appreciate your feedback on our proposed configuration.

Regards Oleg & Lior