hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: question about meta data query intensity
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:55:11 GMT
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Jack Levin <magnito@gmail.com> wrote:
> its REST, and generally no long lived clients, yes, caching of regions
> helps however, we expect long tail hits that will be uncached, which
> may stress out meta region, that being said, is it possible create
> affinity and nail meta region into a beefy server or set of beefy
> servers?

The REST server should be caching region locations for you.

On the .META. side, since its accessed so frequently, it should be
nailed into the block cache but if 1000 regions sitting beside that
.META. there could be contention.

There is also hbase.client.prefetch.limit, the number of region
locations to fetch every time we do a lookup into .META. Currently its
set to 10.  You could try setting this down to 1?

What are you seeing for request rates and load on the .META. hosting
regionserver?

St.Ack