hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>
Subject RE: question about meta data query intensity
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:50:57 GMT
It is possible that it could be a bottleneck but usually is not.  Generally production HBase
installations have long-lived clients, so the client-side caching is sufficient to reduce
the amount of load to META (virtually 0 clean cluster is at steady-state / no region movement).

For MapReduce, you do make new clients but generally only need to query for one region per
task.

It is not currently possible to split META.  We hard-coded some stuff a while back to make
things easier and in the name of correctness.

HBASE-3171 is about removing the ROOT region and putting the META region(s) locations into
ZK directly.  When we make that change, we could probably also re-enable the splitting of
META.

JG