hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jian Lu <...@local.com>
Subject RE: HBase Secondary Index
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 00:04:40 GMT
Thanks again Mike!

Two tables to store the same data and the only difference is just the row key?  Table 1 uses
milliseconds timestamp as row key, Table 2 uses column values (unique across time series)
as row key?  So, when searching by timestamp, I use table 1.  When searching by column values,
I go to table 2?  Is this correct?

I will have about 140 million new records / day.

Please advise!  Thanks!

Jack.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Segel [mailto:michael_segel@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 4:36 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: RE: HBase Secondary Index

Jack...

When we looked at the secondary index, it started off ok, but we started having issues.
There were some serious problems that needed to be addressed and the contributor wasn't keeping
things up to date. (Such is life)

So while the contrib/transactional didn't work for us, there are other alternatives for creating
(Here's the cue for someone in the Lily camp to step up.)

You can also roll your own too.

If the data you want to capture in the time series, you may want to just write the record
to two different tables...

HTH

-Mike

> From: jlu@local.com
> To: user@hbase.apache.org
> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:43:22 -0700
> Subject: RE: HBase Secondary Index
>
> Hi Michael, thanks a lot!
>
> Is adding a secondary index to HTable a bad idea given that my data will never be updated
once added to HTable?

> I am trying to find a solution from the previous post for "Time series-schema".  I need
to query by 1) time stamp, 2) and by column values across different time stamps.

from: http://rajeev1982.blogspot.com/2009/06/secondary-indexes-in-hbase.html

> > Could someone please tell me where I can download the HBase contrib package for
the hbase-0.20.0-transactional.jar?