hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: specify the IP address of the master node
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:19:47 GMT
Instead of specifying an ip address can you specify an internal dns name and only map that
name to the internal ip?
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Da Zheng [mailto:zhengda1936@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: specify the IP address of the master node

Hello,

I tried to setup HBase on 3 nodes. One of them has two network interface, one
has public IP address and the other has private address. The other two nodes are
inside a private network, so they cannot connect to the public address of the
first node. I set the first node (with two interfaces) as the master server, the
other two as region servers. The problem now is that the zookeeper keeps giving
the public IP address of the master node to the two other nodes and thus HBase
fails to run. The error is shown below. Is there any way I can specify the IP
address of the master node myself? I tried hbase.master.info.bindAddress but it
doesn't work. I searched hbase-default.xml, but cannot find anything close.

2010-11-11 00:10:17,339 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper: Set watcher on master
address ZNode /hbase/master
2010-11-11 00:10:17,489 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWrapper: Read ZNode /hbase/master got
128.220.233.214:60000
2010-11-11 00:10:17,489 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer:
Telling master at 128.220.233.214:60000 that we are up
2010-11-11 00:10:17,734 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer:
Unable to connect to master. Retrying. Error was:
java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(SocketChannelImpl.java:507)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.connect(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:192)
        at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.connect(NetUtils.java:404)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient$Connection.setupIOstreams(HBaseClient.java:308)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.getConnection(HBaseClient.java:844)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.call(HBaseClient.java:716)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Invoker.invoke(HBaseRPC.java:333)
        at $Proxy0.getProtocolVersion(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:489)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:465)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:512)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.waitForProxy(HBaseRPC.java:423)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getMaster(HRegionServer.java:1299)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.reportForDuty(HRegionServer.java:1317)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:434)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Best,
Da