hbase-user mailing list archives

From Gaurav Kohli <gko...@xebia.com>
Subject RE: Sequential Inserts In HBASE.
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:37:45 GMT
Hi Raja,

Each table in Hbase will have data split into many Region Servers which would in turn be stored
on different Datanodes in Hadoop. So if you have sequential insert's then all the data would
go to a same Region server and it would get choked and you will end up not using the parallel
power of Hbase. So its always better to have random inserts so that all the regions servers
are simultaneously used.

I am also not expert in Hbase, so others may please correct me, if I am wrong.
Regards,
Gaurav
From: rajgopalv [raja.fire@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 6:00 PM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Sequential Inserts In HBASE.

Hi All,
I'm new to HBASE. I understand that HBASE keeps its data sorted in the
filesystem. So when we insert randomly, it takes time to sort. Where as when
we insert sequentially, there is no need for HBASE to sort.

But, i keep hearing from some of the users that, sequential inserts to HBASE
is the worst case thing. Why is that ?