hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do you increase the max cell size in Hbase?
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:41:41 GMT
Hey,

The limits are due to code/data limits, eg: how many bits of space we
use to indicate lengths and such.  This is something like ~ 2gb for
the "key" part and the "value" part each.  Furthermore the row can
only be Short.MAX_LENGTH.

There is specific exceptions for each one of these in trunk/0.89, do
you have a specific exception text?

-ryan

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Taylor, Ronald C <ronald.taylor@pnl.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to increase the max cell size in one of my Hbase tables. Just got an error
msg when trying to insert something about 12 Meg in size that said

>  KeyValue size too large
>
> I presume that I'm using the default cell max size at present - I cannot find anything
regarding cell size in the conf files, so the default setting must be being used.

> How do I increase the max size allowed? For example, if I want to allow a string of up
to 20 Meg in size, which conf file do I change, and what is the precise wording?

> I googled around and found a note on MAX_LENGTH, but it is unclear how to set it and
where. Do I do something like

>  MAX_LENGTH=20
>
>  in the conf//hbase-env.sh  file?
>
> And, if that works, do I need to restart Hbase and then recreate all the tables in which
I want to use the new max cell size?