hbase-user mailing list archives

From William Kang <weliam.cl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase random access in HDFS and block indices
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:21:21 GMT
Hi JG and Ryan,
Thanks for the excellent answers.

So, I am going to push everything to the extremes without considering
the memory first. In theory, if in HBase, every cell size equals to
HBase block size, then there would not be any in block traverse. In
HDFS, very HBase block size equals to each HDFS block size, there
would not be any in-file random access necessary. This would provide
the best performance?

But, the problem is that if the block in HBase is too large, the
memory will run out since HBase load block into memory; if the block
in HDFS is too small, the DN will run out of memory since each HDFS
file takes some memory. So, it is a trade-off problem between memory
and performance. Is it right?

And would it make any difference between random reading the same size
file portion from of a small HDFS block and from a large HDFS block?

Thanks.

William