hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Taylor, Ronald C" <ronald.tay...@pnl.gov>
Subject How do you increase the max cell size in Hbase?
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:31:20 GMT

Hello,

I would like to increase the max cell size in one of my Hbase tables. Just got an error msg
when trying to insert something about 12 Meg in size that said

  KeyValue size too large

I presume that I'm using the default cell max size at present - I cannot find anything regarding
cell size in the conf files, so the default setting must be being used.

How do I increase the max size allowed? For example, if I want to allow a string of up to
20 Meg in size, which conf file do I change, and what is the precise wording?

I googled around and found a note on MAX_LENGTH, but it is unclear how to set it and where.
Do I do something like

 MAX_LENGTH=20

 in the conf//hbase-env.sh  file?

And, if that works, do I need to restart Hbase and then recreate all the tables in which I
want to use the new max cell size?

 Cheers,
  Ron

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, Mail Stop J4-33
Richland, WA  99352 USA