hbase-user mailing list archives

From Venkatesh <vramanatha...@aol.com>
Subject Re: hbase.client.retries.number
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:03:19 GMT

 Thanks J-D

Yeah..Found out the hard way in prod :) set to zero..since client requests were backing up..
everything stopped working/region server would n't come up..etc..(did not realize hbase
client property would be used by server :)

I reverted all retries back to default..

So far everything seems good...(fingers crossed).after making several tunables along the way..

- Using HBase 0.20.6

-Processing about 300 million event puts
-85% of requests are under 10 milli.sec..while the mean is about 300 millisecs..Trying to
narrow
 that..if it's during our client GC or Hbase pause..Tuning region server handler count

-mapreduce job to process 40 million records takes about an hour..Majority in the reduce phase.

 Trying to optimize that..by varying buffer size of writes..Going to try the "in_memory" option
as well.

- Full table scan takes about 30 minutes..Is that reasonable for a table size of  10 mill
records?
  hbase.client.scanner.caching - If set in hbase-site.xml, Scan calls should pick that up
correct?

thanks
venkatesh