hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jian Lu <...@local.com>
Subject RE: FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker: java.net.BindException: Problem binding to .......
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:55:11 GMT
Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the advice! What is "SNN"?  Would two SNN cause "binding problem"?

I am trying to following this instruction:  http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Multi-Node_Cluster)

"Typically one machine in the cluster is designated as the NameNode and another machine the
as JobTracker, exclusively. These are the masters. The rest of the machines in the cluster
act as both DataNode and TaskTracker. These are the slaves".

This company is ordering 20 new servers for Hadoop/HBase app.  With 20 servers, should I use
a single master server as NameNode + JobTracker + zk and the rest of 19 servers as slaves?

Can you suggest a little more details on layout?  Does the scripts below start HBase as well?

Thanks a lot!

Jack.

-----Original Message-----
From: Buttler, David [mailto:buttler1@llnl.gov]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 3:27 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: RE: FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker: java.net.BindException: Problem binding
to .......

This is not an hbase problem...

The master file tells hadoop where to start the secondary name node. I think it will try to
start a SNN on both 1a and 1b if you put those hosts in the file.

For such a small cluster, I would suggest a different layout:
1a: nn, jt, master, zk
1b: tt, dn, snn, regionserver
1c: tt, dn, regionserver

You might consider making your own script to start your cluster if you want to distribute
things in ways that are not normal.
Eg:
ssh 1a hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode
ssh 1a hadoop-daemon.sh start jobtracker
ssh 1a hbase-daemon.sh start zookeeper

ssh 1b hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker
ssh 1b hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
ssh 1b hadoop-daemon.sh start secondarynamenode
ssh 1b hbase-daemon.sh start regionserver

ssh 1c hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker
ssh 1c hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
ssh 1c hbase-daemon.sh start regionserver

You are not going to get a lot of parallelism here.  If your machines are particularly beefy
I would also consider putting a dn and at regionserver on 1a