hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Sharma, Avani" <agsha...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: Initial and max heap size
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 00:50:16 GMT
I was able to do the same. Thanks.

-Avani

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew LeMieux [mailto:mdl@mlogiciels.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:47 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Initial and max heap size

I've found that the master doesn't need as much memory as the regionserver.

I've been successful giving the region servers 4GB or more and the master 1GB or less.
(I used HBASE_MASTER_OPTS and HBASE_REGIONSERVER_OPTS in hbase-env.sh for specifying different
heap sizes)

Has anybody else had a different experience?

-Matthew

On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Vidhyashankar Venkataraman wrote:

> Hi Avani,
>  4 gigs might be enough for your app.. But did you make sure that you are using a 64-bit
jvm?

> On 8/31/10 11:32 AM, "Sharma, Avani" <agsharma@ebay.com> wrote:
>
> Well, I have a 16G machine and I do not want to give all memory to hbase since each hbase
deamon will take 4Gigs - master and regionserver are running  on the same machines and also
hdfs daemons.