hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hbase Backups
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:26:42 GMT

Backups?

LOL... Funny you should ask...

Depending on your existing infrastructure, and the size of your cloud and the amount of data
you want to store...
YMMV.

What we determined at client site is that the standard of backing system up to SAN from SAN
to tape and tape goes offsite doesn't work.

We have too much data so you have to consider backing up tables out of HBase to HDFS for a
local 'hot' copy. Then move the backup to secondary cloud for off site backup.

Until 0.90  and 0.21, I don't think you can take advantage of snapshots just yet.

So your best bet is to take advantage of the built in export import feature and write a shell
script around it.
So you can either do a full or incremental backup strategy.

The drawback is that its a m/r job so it will take resources away from your cloud and you
need to look at your SLA.

HTH